Pagine

Tuesday 26 April 2016

An Old Wise Chair

AN OLD WISE CHAIR
Chapter 1

By looking at me, you could easily think I am a sort of a useless wreck. Maybe I could agree with you from a mere aesthetic point of view.
I mean, if you have a glance at me, the first thought that comes to your mind is “oh gosh, that chair is really old! I wouldn’t even sit on it, it doesn’t look safe at all!”. To be honest, that would offend me a bit. I know I lost my colour and the wood is getting scratched, but what does it mean I’m “not safe”?
I’m still strong and I can still sustain heavy weights, you know? Maybe if you’re worried, you should get fit, so you would also help me get less tired while you’re sitting on me! By looking at you, I would say there’s some extra fat around your abdomen and if I were you, I’d blame myself and not the chair if it breaks under your non-feather-weight!
Never mind, I’m used to this kind of discrimination. I’d not say I’m old, but wise.
Would you trust me if I say that I’ve heard a lot of different stories and seen a huge number of different things during these years at the farm?
Maybe not, because you think I’m not a living object, don’t you? Well, ok, you’re wrong. I’ll forgive you anyway. Ah, my name is Rosie and I’m a female chair, so please be kind and well behaved when you use or move me!
I was given this name by the farmer’s oldest daughter, Susan, long time ago, when I was still red. Red like a rose, you know. Just to make sure you understand the meaning of my name! And yes, believe me, long time ago I was painted in a pretty scarlet colour. I lost it, but I’m happy anyway; the wind, the sun and the rain did that to me, but this is the price to pay to enjoy little things in life and I’m satisfied.
Imagine a spring dawn, when the sun appears from behind that hill over there and you start feeling warm again after a chilly night. Think about the sunlight passing through the young leaves of the trees, illuminating the backyard and you can finally see the vivid colours of the flowers and the grass.


Have a look over there at those beautiful tulips! Judith, the farmer’s wife, planted the bulbs a few months ago. Look how the colours match! Beautiful white tulips alternating with vivid orange ones. I’d desire to be moved there from time to time, to observe more closely their dance during breezy days. You should be here when they perform their elegant ball! They are really good dancers, making gentle movements to follow the air flow rhythmically. From right to left and back, all moving in a coordinated way! I want to ask them which tulip thinks about the choreography, because it’s always a pleasure to observe them moving in such a pretty way.

No comments:

Post a Comment